How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What rights does a guardian have over a local authority care

This answer was rated:

What rights does a guardian have over a local authority care contract for an incapacitated sibling? In this case a sister of a severely disabled brother is not happy that the care firm, contracted by the local authority to provide 24 hour care, is acting in the best interests of her brother.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
has the sister been appointed as the brothers Deputy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Clare

yes, she is appointed as her brother's Deputy. Her brother is aged 48 years and has severe cerebral palsy such that he has a mental age of about 6 months and is confined to a wheel chair.

Is she appointed in respect of Welfare as well as Finances?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, she is. She has enduring power of attorney from the Court of Protection
This is important what is the exact name - is it an Enduring power or a Lasting Power?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
her court documents state that the Deputy appointment 'will last until further order'
Excellent - she is the Deputy, not an attorney
Does it also specifically say that it deals with Health and Welfare as well as finances?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, it specifically states finances and affairs
Then I am afraid she does not at present have the right to deal with the care that he is given only with his finances
Clearly she is entitled to express her opinion - and to insist on an investigation if she is alleging abuse - but she cannot insist on it being changed
If she applied to be his Deputy for Health and Welfare as well she will have more rights to make decisions
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you