How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34907
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Mum is currently going through financial proceedings of

Customer Question

My Mum is currently going through financial proceedings of a divorce. It is becoming increasingly apparent that my ex-Stepfather is doing his best to avoid telling the truth about his current circumstances. We have received information from the family that he has recently been awarded a council bungalow yet he is stating that he is homeless and is attempting to force my Mum to sell her house. We are not sure how he has achieved this given the amount of savings he holds plus he is claiming half of a £160000 house. But is there any way of finding out if he is living in a council property. It is fairly recent and he doesn't show on electoral registers. Is a court order possible to force him to tell the truth? He is persisting with stating he is homeless and living on sofas at family residence.
Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How far has the Financial Application actually reached?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have just responding to all questions on the Form E. The initial hearing happened in January. The next hearing is set for May.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
has you mum got a solicitor or are you dealing with this yourself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How long were they married/living together ?
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

10 years together

5 years married


I just need to know if we can request council records given we believe he has a property instead of claiming he is homeless.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Missed the point of my enquiry
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am aware of the point of your enquiry - what I am hoping to do is not only explain how you can go about getting the information but also whether or not the issue is actually relevant
If you only wish to know how to g about this then at then you should write and ask him to provide a letter from the Council confirming the current position with regard to his housing application
If he has not done so by the time of the next hearing you need to ask the court to order that he do so prior to the Final Hearing.
If you would like further information regarding the relevance of his housing needs I shall need to know how much a one bedroom property in the same general area costs to but and confirmation that he has made no financial contribution to the property