How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son and his wife have an 8 month old baby. His wife (J)

Customer Question

My son and his wife have an 8 month old baby. His wife (J) has been exhibiting some obsessive behaviours - handwashing - using huge amounts of handwash in a day, seeing 'germs' everywhere,not allowing my son to spend time alone with his daughter, not allowing items eg coats into the house and forcing my son to undress in the kitchen on his return from work so he doesn't spread'germs' (he's an accountant so not a dirty job). When my son refused to comply J took their daughter to live with her parents.
She is now saying she wants to 'move on' and has found herself a 'housemate' but refuses to say who this is or where the house is. She does not have a good relationship with her parents and we suspect they have asked her to leave. My son has continually offered to move in with myself & his father to allow J to remain in the family home to provide some stability for their daughter which she has refused.
Our granddaughter has spent the weekends with her father during this estrangement although J is very prescriptive about activities on these weekends and constantly harasses my son regarding his whereabouts during these times
We suspect the housemate may be a cousin who has 2 young children and an unstable lifestyle, living in an area of high drug and crime, as do J's parents. We are of course very concerned about this.
Please could you advise what action my son should take in the interim prior to consulting a solicitor formally?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has there been any medical involvement since clearly there are some mental health issues involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I replied to this but haven't heard anything else from you.


My response was that she is refusing medical help

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry that that reply did not get through
As I said there is clearly a mental health issue involved - has he spoken to the Health Visitor or his ex's parents?