How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hello I have a question about a lease car agreement. The

This answer was rated:

I have a question about a lease car agreement.
The agreement is with GE Capital through a company scheme, with payments taken from my salary.
I have had the car for three and a half years.
For the first two and a half years the company failed to take payments out of my salary.
As this was part of a benefits package I did not realise payments were not being taken.
The company called to inform me of the problem around September last year and informed me also that I owed £7380
The original lease expired in December but I have held on to the car as I they have stated I need to pay the remaining balance when I had the car back but obviously that is a big amount to pay.
What is I my legal position regarding this situation.
For example, as they failed to take the payments can I refuse to pay at this stage?
Can they compel me to pay and over what time scale?

Many thanks

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I assume you signed the agreement personally please?


hello, yes I signed it myself. I have been paying monthly amounts since september 2013

Alex Watts : It's bad news I am afriad.
Alex Watts : They technically have 6 years to collect a debt.
Alex Watts : Therefore on this basis it will not be written off.
Alex Watts : However in my view because they did not collect it, they should collect those outstanding sums by that term.
Alex Watts : Ie if they did not collect the payments for 27 months they should continue to collect for 27 months.
Alex Watts : In effect the term is increased.
Alex Watts : It is wholly unreasonable of them to expect full payment at the end due their own error.
Alex Watts : Therefore you should offer to extend the term so that the monthly payments are made.
Alex Watts : If they refuse then you could complain to the financial ombudsman.
Alex Watts : They are independent and can examine your complaint for free.
Alex Watts : Their website is
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you for your help.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Alex Watts :

Please remember to leave feedback before you go today

Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you