How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Where do i stand in a court of law ,as my ex partner gave me

This answer was rated:

Where do i stand in a court of law ,as my ex partner gave me an std which because of health reasons in unable to fight and have to live on drugs for the rest of my life. He never told me he was a carrier of the disease even thou he was fully aware he was carrying it . Hes since left me and ran off with a young girl half his age and fear if he gives it to her she will carry it for the rest of her life too .

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

has he broken the law ,is there any law against what hes done ?

What was the STD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

herpes , but because of ill health , lung disease im unable to fight it and live on drugs to keep it at bay .


You can always report this to the police.

Its a borderline issue actually.

It always used to be the case that transmission of an STD was not an offence. There has been caselaw that has made clear that transmission of HIV is a S18 assault as long as all of the other elements can be proven.

Other STDs have not been litigated upon yet but I suppose until you make a report you will never know.

Obviously you do need to prove that he was the cause which is the traditional problem with the transmission of STDs. Also, I'm not sure that Herpes amounts to a S18 assault so the court would have to consider whether lesser offences apply.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you