How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have paid a deposit for a car and have a signed receipt fron

This answer was rated:

I have paid a deposit for a car and have a signed receipt fron the seller. The seller says he has changed his mind and no longer wants to sell me the car but I still want to buy the car. Can I still go ahead?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

has he refunded the money?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On what basis does he say he can keep your money and not provide the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He says he will refund the deposit but hasn't done so. Can I refuse the deposit and insist buying the car

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

Obviously he is acting in breach of contract. You have a binding agreement to purchase the car and refusing to sell to you is a breach.

However, ultimately you cannot force specific performance of the contract I'm afraid. The only time you can do that is if the goods are literally unique. Something like a live animal would be a good example.

What you can do is sue him for damages. Its always difficult with vehicles because there is so much variation with used cars but if you had to buy a similar car at a higher price there is a theoritical claim for the difference in price.

Obviously he must refund your deposit.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car in question is a collectors car , E Type Jaguar, would this qualify as unique?
You could try to argue that it is.

Its a borderline issue but its possibly worth an argument.

It depends if you are prepared to fund a court action for specific performance. Its effectively an injunction so its not cheap.

One option is to warn the seller than you will take this action and claim costs from him which might be enough to persuade him to comply.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you