How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have been with my fiance for almost 7 years and he is about

This answer was rated:

I have been with my fiance for almost 7 years and he is about to leave me. He owes me a lot of money due to his gambling. What are my rights for getting my money?

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Do you have any proof that you gave him this money? I.e bank statements etc?

Was it always a loan?

How much does he owe you?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Other than my word no real proof. Although I am currently paying off a £10k loan in mine & his name and 2 credit card debts of his amounting to around £5k.

These are to cover some of his gambling debts. But I've also previously paid around £25k+ to cover these.



Thank you.

Firstly I am afraid it is unlikely that you will be able to recover any debts that are older than 6 years. So it will only be those sums paid or demanded in the last 6 years.

Secondly in relation to the joint loans you are entitled to recover his share of the loans from him under Civil Liability (Contribution) Act 1978. You would have to do this through a money claim (See below).

Thirdly credit cards solely in his name that you have not guaranteed you can stop paying as they are his responsibility.

Finally any cash you have paid out to him, you will have to sue him for if he wont voluntarily repay. You can start a money claim here

The only problem is if he has got no money then you may just be wasting time and money doing this, if he can pay any Judgment you may be better waiting until he has a job and can actual repay something before pursuing him. If he goes bankrupt you will have next to no chance of recovering the money from him.

As a starting point you should write a letter to him and make a formal demand that he repays you what you are owed.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you