How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Woodbridge Town Council owns land that a village hall sits

This answer was rated:

Woodbridge Town Council owns land that a village hall sits on. The land as transferred to us by our District Council. We want to have a management agreement with the managing committee but they are refusing as they say we don't own the building. There no are deeds to the building which was built by volunteers in 1984. How do we convince the committee that by owning the land we do own the village hall?

You need to explain to them what the legal definition of "land" is..

S. 3 of The Land Registration Act 1925 provides as follows (emphasis mine):

“Land” includes land of any tenure (including land, subject or not to manorial incidents, enfranchised under Part V of the Law of Property Act 1922), and mines and minerals, whether or not held with the surface, buildings or parts of buildings (whether the division is horizontal, vertical or made in any other way) and other corporeal hereditaments; also a manor, . . . , and a rent and other incorporeal hereditaments, and an easement, right, privilege, or benefit in, over, or derived from land; . .and “hereditaments” mean real property which on an intestacy might, before the commencement of this Act, have devolved on an heir;

This means that any building on the land which you own belongs to you.

Perhaps you may need a solicitor to write them a letter pointing out your ownership rights of the building and that you have the right to ask them to vacate the buildings and land which you now own, if they do not co-operate.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you