How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71131
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Ive just received a letter from an accounts and enforcement

This answer was rated:

I've just received a letter from an accounts and enforcement unit saying there is a warrant for my arrest for non payment of a debt. It doesn't say what debt but I would pay it in installments if that was allowed. I've tried to ring the numbers on the letter but not got any answer. What would be your advice as to my next step?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure what I can do about the debt. Am I allowed to pay it in installments as it is too much to pay as a one off. The letter says I need to go to a magistrates court and pay otherwise they will come to my house to arrset me.

Yes, they will do that.

Why have you not been paying?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know what the debt is. It just says that I failed to comply with an order of the court but doesn't have any other detail.

It will be a finding against you at the Magistrates Court.

It might have been in absence - road traffic, TV licence etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you think I would be allowed to pay in installments instead of the full amount straight away?

The short answer is that you probably will.

You need to go and hand yourself in to the court in question for non payment of fines rather than wait to be arrested.

You could also try to phone the collections department but they will probably say its in the hands of the bailiffs now.

They may arrest you and put you in the cells but then they will have to hear the case at some point that day and although the Magistrates will scream fire and brimstone, in the end if you cannot pay in full they only have two options - accept installments or send you to prison.

They are not going to send you to prison on a first incident so they will have to live with instalments.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I was able to get a loan to pay it upfront would I be able to avoid the cells and being in front of the judge? I suffer from claustrophobia and panic attacks so the thought of that is terrifying

If you paid it off in full then they might withdraw the warrant but that cannot be guaranteed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I managed to pay it off without being arrested but as there was a warrant until it was paid, could it affect future crb checks for work?

Did you attend court voluntarily?

I'm happy to continue with this but please remember to leave feedback for my original answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went to the court voluntarily and because I had the money I wasnt arrested, just given a slip to pay

No, that will not show on CRB then.

Its not a criminal offence.