How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am self employed, I have been unable to work since the 2nd

This answer was rated:

I am self employed, I have been unable to work since the 2nd of February due to a prolapsed disc in my lower back. I have had an MRI scan and am waiting to be seen next by a spinal consultant on Friday 7th march, until then I don't know if surgery will be required. My business is a cafe/restaurant so I am unable to do the physical side of the work and being on my feet 10 hrs a day. I am employing 1 extra person to cover my hours. Can I claim anything.
Thank you , david cole
Hello David,

Sorry to hear about this.

You may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance as this is permitted even for self employed people.

It would depend how many hours you will be working, see the benefits checker here:

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you