How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My brother is in hmp thameside, we have had calls from him

This answer was rated:

My brother is in hmp thameside, we have had calls from him to say he is very unhappy as word is being spread that he is a nonce and a grass by an inmate that should not be in the same prison as him as previously when they were together he tried to kill himself. He feels very low at the moment and has asked to be moved to the seg unit for his own safety but the have failed to do this. We have called time and again the they say he is in safe hands but nobody is checking on him and they even left him without a phone yesterday so we were really concerned. We think he may try to end his life again and don't know who to turn to. Can you help direct us to who we need to talk to please?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you mean HMP thameside?

Obviously he wouldn't normally have a phone on him on prison
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The cells in hmp thameside have phones in them so inmates can contact friends and relatives at any time. My brother terry has asked the prison staff to move him to their seg unit where he will feel safe. I have tried on a number of occations to speak with managers and have left loads of messages for them to call me because of my concerns for my brother. No one has phoned or will speak to me. Terry needs to be moved asap because he feels he will harm himself again. Please help!

If this is Thameside in Woolwich then thats an adult prison so I imagine he is an adult. If so, nobody will speak to you I'm afraid save for him if he chooses.

Prisons do generally tend not to be very caring places I'm afraid.

You can make a report to the prison staff of the risk of suicide. There is a pastoral system.

They are not going to segregate him because of the risk of self harm though. That wouldn't make any sense. Segregation is for people who are at risk of harm from others. In fact, segregation should make the self harming risk worse by isolating a person.

Beyond reporting this to the prison authorities there is really not much that can be done. You cannot prevent him taking these actions even if he were under your nose. You have limited power to prevent an autonomous young man from self harming if he is intent.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is at risk from others Jo. Many years ago he was in hmp Belmarsh and wae bullied by this other inmate and that's when he tried to take his own life which is why he is disabled. He should not be in the same prison as this other person, this states this on his records, but somehow they have ended up in the same place. So by being in the same prison with this other person, he is at risk and surley should be segregated for his own safety.?
It is unlikely that they would segregate him unless there is a clear immediate risk.

Of course, there may be an immediate risk but he needs to report it.

There is an anti-bullying policy in prison. They're probably not going to move him from the prison unless they have other reasons to do that but they may well move him on to another wing.