How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I was sexually abused by a doctor in hospital when I

This answer was rated:

Hello, I was sexually abused by a doctor in hospital when I was a child. Another doctor covered it up and terrified me into silence. Since then I have suffered a lot on so many levels (depression, self harm, working in the sex industry, drug and drink abuse) I have tried to get counselling from the NHS or any kind of help to put the past behind me but I just get turned away, put on referrals that never seem to happen or told that my issues are 'not that bad'.
Recently I was finally able to see a psychologist who told me that I had imaginary friends and to try not to cut any major arteries when I self harm and if I did that was just a risk I had to take and that I should just try to be positive. Needless to say I haven't found this very helpful and while I'm terrified, I just want some counselling and coping strategies to try to help me live. I'm sick and tired of living on an emotional roller coaster and living in this nightmare. I can't afford a counsellor and I'm now at the point where I feel I have to do the unthinkable, I have to try to fight them to get some money to pay for the therapy I feel I need.

There is no evidence of my abuse, when I reported it as a child, the doctor told me I was a liar and that he would put i on my permanent hospital records which were checked by the police, ambulance, fire service and every 999 service. This would mean that if my house was burning down, no one would come because it would state that I was a liar and it would mean then that no one would help my family if they needed it. He then separated me off the ward into a private room as a punishment and the abuse just got worse but I couldn't tell anyone.

This happened when I was 7 or 8 years old and I'm now 35. I suppose my question is, is this worth pursuing?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

You could always make a claim. Unfortunately the practical reality is that its very hard to bring.

The first problem is that you are time barred under the Limitation Act. You had 3 years from the date of your 18th birthday to bring this claim under that legislation. There has been some case law that has suggested that S32 LA 1980 can be used to extend time where there is a very good reason but the truth is that its often refused.

The second problem, of course, is that you have to prove the allegation. You only have to prove it on the civil standard which is an improvement but nevertheless its a high test.

Also, I'm afraid legal aid is unlikely to be available for this claim so you would have to fund the action yourself I'm afraid.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Jo,


Thank you for your advice, at least I know where I stand now. It seems that my abuser was right in everything he said to me, the cards have always been stacked in his favour. I just needed to hear it from someone in the know and not the voices in my head. I suppose I should have got my act together years ago when I was trying to destroy myself and run away from it all!


Thank you for your time.



No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile