How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, My partners mother is sending letters to my mother

This answer was rated:


My partners mother is sending letters to my mother which include statements which are completely untrue. we are living apart at the moment with him at his mothers and me at our joint tennented flat. We have spoken about reconciliation but due to his mothers untruths about me this is proving very difficult and I am considering suing her for deformation of character and slander, how does this work?

Although there is no fixed definition, defamation may occur if statements lower your reputation, or expose you to hatred or ridicule or cause you to be ignored etc. slander is spoken words whilst libel is written words.

Such claims are very costly and time consuming and you do not get legal aid, so you may consider getting a solicitor to write her a letter asking her to stop her alleged defamation. This may work instead of court action.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you