How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was falsely accused of assaulting my girlfriend amidst a

Customer Question

I was falsely accused of assaulting my girlfriend amidst a battle for custody of our son. I was arrested. The police interviewed my girlfriend and saw her texts to me. I was released. The police suggested that I could press charges. I did not fearing repercussions through the custody battle. My girlfriend and Social Services subsequently repeatedly referred to my 'alleged violent outbursts'. I now wish to clear my name. Do I complain to the police?

Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What do you want to complain to the police about please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was arrested upon the false allegation of assault of my ex-girlfriend. At the time the police said that I could bring charges against my ex for falsely accusing me. I did not do so at the time. This was two years ago. A police officer has since told my father that I should 'clear my name' as this will remain 'over my head'. I want to do this now.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I'm afraid it doesn't work like that and the police generally do understand that. They would not have left it to you 'press charges' for perverting which is an Americanism that we don't have in the UK anyway.

Is this basically that he asked you for a statement and you refused to provide one? If so, its too late now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I made a statement - it was accepted and I was released without charge. However, I understand that this is still on my 'record' as having insufficient evidence to charge. My guns (I run a commercial Shoot) were confiscated for five months and this was financially damaging. Eventually I got them back. Recently my father told his police friend that we have problems with a tenant on our farm. He commented to my father that I should not have any involvement or dealings with the tenant because to all intents and purposes I am 'known' as having a violent past and any subsequent allegations will be considered in this light. I am horrified. My ex remains potentially volatile and I walk on eggshells. There must be something I can do to clear my name?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
No, you didn't.

You gave an interview under caution.

Did the officer ask you to make a S9 statement against her?