How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

we have been married 7 years but lived together for 3 years

This answer was rated:

we have been married 7 years but lived together for 3 years before this we both own our own homes and both work, my husband has never given me any money over the last 10 years as I worked and paid all the food and some bills, now we are splitting up my husband has brought a new car twice a year and has all the saving in his own bank what we have been saving. My husband always said he was saving this for us both. I am 56 and he is 55, now we are going to split up and he said I wont get any thing in the savings as its all in his name I feel betrayed as I trusted him also my home is worth about 75,000 with a 24,000 morgage and his is worth about 250,000 with a 60,000 morgage both homrs are rented out and we rent a home for us to live in. all these years he has had controll of the money and I have kept us earning quite less than him but still paying 1/2 of everything now I feel I have been used am I entitled to any of our assets or savings please help

As a general rule, you are entitled to 50% of whatever is in the marriage pot (his assets and yours), it does not matter that certain assets are in his name alone or your name alone, the courts will treat everything (your assets and his) as if it was 1 pot and divide it fairly between the two of you depending on your and his personal circumstances, standard of living etc. but the default starting point is 50/50.

You should consider appointing a solicitor to assist you in the divorce process so that you get what you rightly deserve.

All the best

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you the trouble is while I am using my pay to buy food etc he is banking his and buying cars, we put 10,000 in an ica about six years ago but all this was just in his name, I have asked him to be fair but he says hard luck also he contracts him self to barclys bank and is under an unbrella company where they pay him a wage then the rest goes into a pot but I dont know where so how can i contest this

During divorce peroceedings, he will have to disclose all his savings and assets to the court and to you so there is no question of him hiding it.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we dont have any children together he has two and so do I but he says every thing is for his kids and not me as it was his house before he met me. I have also paid towards our holidays etc but he canot understand why he has to share our assets and says he will fight it but I dont have the money to fight but he dose so will I losose every thing

It is not a question of him fighting it, it will all depend on the judge!

I would strongly advise that you appoint a solicitor to act for you in the divorce proceedings.

This reading may help you:

All the best
Divorce Aid provides free assistance as well