How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

What are my rights if my planning consultant (I have just bought

Customer Question

What are my rights if my planning consultant (I have just bought a house) wont show me his work until I have paid him his full fee, and then once I pay and see his work, I find that it is littered with mistakes and errors?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

You have the right to expect the work to be done with reasonable care and skill under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

You may ask the work to be re-done and if not, you may ask for a refund.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



The problem is that there were deadlines, and the cost to me for missing deadlines (additional mortgage payments etc) outweighed the "cost" of me doing all of the work that they should have done (spelling mistakes etc).


I.e. Their mistakes were rectifiable once I had flagged what needed to be changed, but my view is that I was paying them for an "up to professional standard" piece of work - it wasnt, and it only ended up being "professional" because of the errors that I pointed out.


In short, asking for a refund would have cost me time - time was not what I had on my hands. The work was made up to standard, due to me spending additional time on it.


Is there anything that I can do here?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
What would you like from them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A partial refund - if they are not happy to do that, then I would want to take legal action (if I can).

I paid an extortionate fee but the service did not match that fee in my eyes.

The problem is that we are still only half way through the work I have employed them for - do I address this issue now or wait until the work is complete before I go after them (delays are my biggest cost though).
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
I think you should address the issues sooner rather than later so that the delays are addressed straight away. Under the Supple of Goods and Services Act, the work should be done in a reasonable time and it seems the delays are unreasonable here and you may have a good case against the person.

You should ask for a partial refund and that delays should not be repeated and make it clear that you are considering your legal options under the above Act.

If you wish to make a claim for money, is very easy to do so.

Hope this helps