How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

if I am shareholder of a company. then company goes into liquidation.

This answer was rated:

if I am shareholder of a company. then company goes into liquidation. new company offers me a same share . when actually sell shares can I account for cost incurred in old company against price I have received from new company?

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

You cannot force the new company to accept what you have proposed.

The old company is a distinct legal entity and your payment for the shares represents the limit of your liability to that company on liquidation. The share capital would be paid to the creditors of the company, it would only be returned to you if the company was solvent on liquidation.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry you have not answered the other part of question. it relates to capital gain tax. when I sell shares in new company. can I still use cost incurred in old company? the price I paid originally to acquire shares?


Thank you.

No you cannot. You might be able to claim a relief if you have a suffered a loss and you make a capital gain on the new shares.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you