How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12301
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in a semi-detached house in Glasgow with an extension

This answer was rated:

I live in a semi-detached house in Glasgow with an extension which is up to the boundary between the two properties. The brick wall of the extension which faces my neighbor has been painted without our permission or knowledge and the house has been put up for sale. By painting our wall it gives the impression that the wall is part of their property which it is not. I am not able to speak with them as they are now living abroad but have made the estate agent aware of the situation but nothing from them.

Where do I stand?

Elizabeth Diggins
Thank you for your question.

Assuming the wall is not over the boundary so as to form a common wall, then the wall should not have been touched without your consent.

However it should be apparent from the title deeds that the wall doesn't form part of their property, assuming again that the wall doesn't touch the boundary.

The wall of course is more than a wall, it is part of your building, so common sense would dictate that it can't form part of anything else.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you