How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Hello! Im Peter! My question is quite simple. There

This answer was rated:


Im Peter!
My question is quite simple.
There was an article in the newspaper 5 years ago in 2009, where the journalist broke the law.
Can I still sue them or this case is too old now?

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

How did the journalist break the law?

Did you suffer loss as a result?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mentioned my full name in the papers without my permission.
Of course by that I got in an unpleasant situation.


I have never even met the journalists...


Thank you.

Was what the journalist said true/untrue, defammatory?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, that is the other thing.

There were quotes from me, what I never told anybody.


The journalists never met me, because I stayed in at my workplace.

I didnt wanna see them.


Thank you.

I am afraid there is not very much you can do.

You may have had a defamation claim however there is time limit on bringing these of 12 months from the date of the relevant publication.

Your best course of action at this stage may be to make a complaint to the Press Complaints Commission‎

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well... bad news, but thank you anyway for the answer

Best regards,




I am sorry. Defamation claims are notoriously difficult and procedural under the Civil Procedure Rules.

I would still pursue a complaint all the same.

I wish you the best of luck and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you AJ!


Have a nice day!

No problem.

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

Kind regards