How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

9 months ago we placed a collection of articles , sale value

This answer was rated:

9 months ago we placed a collection of articles , sale value approx £300-500 with a local Auction House, for pending sale. We have catalogued the contents. We were informed twice, over next few months that the sale had been delayed due to insufficent total articles for auction. On the last occasion we were informed that the auction was being delayed until the spring to effect maximum sales benifit. We have discovered that the business has closed due to the proprieter being declared Bankrupt and the premises repossesed by the landlord. Can you please advise us how to proceed to try to reclaim our property.

Sorry to hear about this.

You should sue the auction house for the loss to your belongings as your agreement was with them.

If the auctioneer was a sole proprietor, then you should register as a creditor by filling in a proof of debt form to claim money for your personal effects:

I would suggest that you claim the upper value of the sale value i.e. 500 pounds and see what money you get paid finally.
You should do so without delay.

Hope this helps

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for your advice and great service.

Welcome. If you need further help, please ask for me.