How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I found a company online to build a website for me with functionality

This answer was rated:

I found a company online to build a website for me with functionality to help me do my business - an online language school. We agreed on 1700pounds and I paid them 50% in advance. I can see they have done some work such as the front page but it has no functionality and the website is still not running - not even demo mode, nothing. 4 months have gone by and they barely reply to my emails. Now that I asked for my money back, they decided to finish the project in 5 days but it was so much hassle for 4 months, I don't want to even consider them to do my website - it was that bad during development, after sales will be even worse. It turns out that I tried to contact them by phone and it doesn't exist anymore. The two people that came here introduced themselves as Milton Keynes team, saying the company has offices in a lot of places in the uk but is based in London. On their website there's a list of people who work with them but these people simply don't exist. I asked them to contact their superiors to explain why I don't want to go ahead with the project and why I want a refund, and they never give me anyone else's contacts. Doing a little research I found out one of the man who came here is actually the owner of the company. Well, company? It's not registered as a company. We didn't sign any contract but I have all the emails registered here. Naive of me, I know, I'm from another country and I trusted these guys. Can I ask for a refund? Should I proceed and report them for not being a company offering services and acting as if they were? What measures should I take?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How did you pay the company please?

bank transfer


It was bank transfer

Alex Watts : Ok, if they have not done what is said then they are in breach of contract.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Even though you are from another country you can sue in the small claims.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: Now they are saying they'll finish the project in 4 days time, but i don't want to use their services anymore. What if in court they prove the project is finished then, and it's just me saying i don't want to work with this company? And what abput them not being a company with false information on their website?
Alex Watts : You could certainly seek a reduction if they agreed a date and it was not done by then.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you