How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

How can I get my neighbour to pay for his electric as when

This answer was rated:

How can I get my neighbour to pay for his electric as when we bought our house off him he forgot to mention that there were three meters in his building we changed the account into our name and for the last eight years we have had to pay his electric charges . In eight years he has only paid £400.00 towards the charges,and his last bill was over £1000 we have sent him a copy of the itemised bills with his reading but to no avail.What can we do to get him to pay his way?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Can an electrician confirm that this is his supply please?
Customer: The supply of electricity is in our name but the meters are actually located in his property !
Alex Watts : Ok. You need to get al electrician to prepare a report and confirm this is the case as this can be used in court.
Alex Watts : Then you need to total how much you have paid for this meter.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Customer: But he won't let an electrician into his property to check meters!
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : i see, in that case skip the first step and just sue for the payments made.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts : But if it is his debt you are paying for his electricity then you can sue for the money back.
Customer: thank you will try that ,many thanks
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you