How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have some empty capsules and intend to fill them with rice

Customer Question

I have some empty capsules and intend to fill them with rice flour, a very inert substance often used in production of pills/tablets/capsules, with very few allergens. My purpose is to sell these as placebos, with their content (100% rice flour) clearly labelled.

Are there any regulations I need to be aware of, as to the legality of me filling the capsules and then selling them? Do they have to be filled in a specific type of premises? Are there hygiene laws to consider?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

UKSolicitorJA : Hello,
UKSolicitorJA : you will not require a licence from the MHRA for selling the placebo tablets.
UKSolicitorJA : You will need to register your premises with your local authority as you will be handling food (rice)
UKSolicitorJA : See here for further information
UKSolicitorJA : Also see the labelling restrictions: the best