How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i have recently purchased a hgv course to persue another career

This answer was rated:

i have recently purchased a hgv course to persue another career in driving , i paid £2098 for my class c and then onto my class c+e i then paid a further £299 for pass insurance and another £299 for the drivers cpc test , which i was told i needed to become a proffessional driver , the total i paid was £2696 , after a couple of days i decided to cancell the course as i have only ever driven an automatic car and was worried that i wouldnt be able to use the gears and didnt want to waste the money , when i applied for a refund i was called several times to get me to change my mind , i told them i was worried about failing the test as i have only ever driven an automatic and was unsure about using a manual to which they said i would be fine and they had an excellent pass rate and that there instructors were first class , i eventually agree to start the course again after being filled with such confidence from a proffessional company , when i came to starting the first part of my course i found it strange that i was being taught with someone else at the same time , i was told i would get 4 hours of lessons aday , instead i was just getting 2 hour , on the 3rd day after just 6 hours in the week instead of the 12 hours i should of got , i admitted defeat and phoned the company to let them know that i wasnt doing to good , and was told that they would find a driving school for me with an automatic truck to learn in and phone me back , they didnt , so i phoned them the next day only to be told that i had forfitted the courses as i didnt do the test ( even though the instructor had told me there was no way i was ready for it ) and would have to pay another £1500 to do it again in an automatic , £1000 for the 4 day course and £500 for the vechile hire ( the vechile hire was already included in the original price) i asked why i had to pay the vechile hire and was told that the driving school had to arrange the automatic truck and pay extra for it . if at the begining they had mention that i could of used an automatic i would of choosen that option and would of passed my class c test , at no time when i told them that i had only an automatic licence did they ever give me any option about using an automatic , only after i spoke to them and they then realised they could get more money off me did they then give me an option , i feel that i have been misled and not given the right options to begin with , and during the 3 days of training was only given half the time that i should of had in the vechile , i would apprecite if anyone could give me some advice i would really appricate any help on this matter as i cant afford to lose this money .
your sincerly lee bell

Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this. When did all of this occur?


do you mean when i purchased the course originally or when i started to do the driving


i think i purchased the course back in septemer 2013 , took my theory test 18th of december 2013 and started the first part of the driving on the 24th febuary 2014


sorry something went wrong with the website and i couldnt get to speak to you thats why u waited for so long to get a response off me , and when i did respond you was offline

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

I have converted this to Q and A as I could not see your responses.

Did you agree cancellation rights in advance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi jo i'm back online can we talk

Yes, go on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi jo , have u answer for me please


I need the information I asked for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no did not agree cancellation rights in advance


So, in summary, you did the course but failed?

Although they offered less tuition than you agreed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i didnt complete the course as me and the instructor agreed i was not ready , and i didnt feel comfortable using a manual gear box my test was on the friday , but i stop the course on the wednesday to speak to the training company ,they said they could arrange for an automatic , what the problem i think is that they should of offered me this at the start after i had told them i only had an automatic licence and couldnt drive a manual

No, but you did start the course and used at least some of it?

I'm afraid they have no obligation to make different offers because you had an automatic licence.

I'm still available to answer. Can you come back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

understand your answer , just not really happy with it , i just feel if i was given the option first when i mentioned my automatic licence , i would of chosen that option instead of wasting my money

Its not an answer.

I need more information before I can answer.
Can you come back? There may be a claim but I need to know more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what else do u need

but you did start the course and used at least some of it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i passed the theory test and the started the 5 day course on 24/2/14 done 2 hours driving insted of the 4 wich i was suposed to do ,then the next day did another 2 hours driving and then on the third day me and my instuctor agreed i was no where near ready for the test , nothing else bothered me about driving the vechile except the manual gearbox , if it was an automatic i feel i would of passed but didnt have that option

Why did they offer reduced driving hours?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they never told me that , as i understood it there would be me and the instuctor and i would have a 4 hour lesson every day up until my test , but on the first and second day there was another student from the lgv training company doing his course so that meant we both only had two hours each of driving for the first two days then he split us up on the third so i could get my 4 hours , but half was through that day we both agreed there was no way i was test ready for the friday and i just didnt feel comfortable driving the vechile as it was unsafe to me and everyone else on the road

Did they offer the tuition at any other time ? For instance after the test that was abandoned?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no if i wanted anymore tuition i would of had to pay again

I do think you have a claim for that.

Obviously you did use some of the service and that does have to be paid for. Trying to cancel at that stage was always going to lead to failure.

But they did not perform the service as agreed and they cannot charge a full price for it. There was in fact a 50% reduction in the number of hours you were offered which is a large one.

There appears to be no justification for it at all so it would be worth claiming against them.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile