How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We have paid £2,200 as half payment for new windows. We are

Customer Question

We have paid £2,200 as half payment for new windows. We are in dispute as the windows are not cleanable from inside which is what was agreed and we would now need to employ a window cleaner. The suppliers of the windows have also said the windows would need to be changed to fit with what we originally wanted. We have received a solicitors letter saying if we do not pay other half in next 7 days legal proceedings will begin - we feel we have a good case and a lot of,evidence to prove that we have not got what was agreed and paid for - what is your view? Should we challenge them?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

How did you pay for the windows please?

JACUSTOMER-31715k6y- : Debit card
Alex Watts :

What is the cost of putting this right, do you know?

JACUSTOMER-31715k6y- : Do not know - but assume would have to fit it all again with correct windows?
Alex Watts :

You should get a number of quotes for putting the work right, this forms your loss.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work or pay you the loss within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-31715k6y- : They are now re viewing the situation - getting quotes will take a while -should we write saying this is what we are going to do?
JACUSTOMER-31715k6y- : Would county court route cost us money?
Alex Watts :

Yes you should write and give notice.

Alex Watts :

County Court is limited fees but if you win they are added to the claim.

Alex Watts :

As a rough figure it works out to 10% of the claim value.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: