How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been a victim of a crime the matter was reported to

Customer Question

I have been a victim of a crime the matter was reported to the police after investigation it was dropped due to lack of evidence.

I need the evidence as proof the matter was reported to the police

Can I get a copy of the police report for investigating and recording the crime that I reported to them?

If yes what is the process of getting that report.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why do you need proof of a report please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To support a home office application to extend visa
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I see.

They will not give you a copy of the cris report because that is confidential information but they will give you a crime number. There should be no problem with that.

Also, of no evidence was offered then you probably would not be assisted by the cris report as its likely to contain commentary about the weak nature of the case.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I see, can I not just ask for a written letter
Can they just write out a letter confirming the crime was reported to them and they dealt with it and found no evidence
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
They could do that but they would not normally.