How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am applying for a senior civil service position. I have

Customer Question

I am applying for a senior civil service position. I have Indefinite Leave to Remain and am a Commonwealth Citizen (India). I have been asked "Have you ever been subject to immigration control?" on the job application. I was, but not for the last 4 years. I answered "yes" but have been prompted for a Home Office Reference Number. I don't know what that would mean. Should I answer "no" instead?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

You should answer yes as you were subject to immigration control before you obtained ILR.

The Home Office reference number should appear on any letters or correspondence with the Home Office, if you are unable to find it, simply say not known or put in 000000 and explain separately that you are unable to find this.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application.