How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

how to get my passports from home office urgently to travel

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm Indian and have lived in UK for nearly 45 years, with 'Indefinite Leave to Enter' status. I sent off an application for a No Time Limit BRP to the Home Office last week and received a receipt today saying it would take 6 months to process. I have to travel to India on the 21st and withdrew my application today. But they're saying I should get my documents, including passports that I need for travel, back within 20 working days. Is there any way that I can hurry it up or at least know when I can expect it - as I am going to be spending the next couple of weeks stressing and may lose the money I paid out for my ticket. Please can you advise. Thanks Annie

Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get the home office to expedite the matter, but what they have stated is there standard waiting time for the return of documents.

What I would suggest you do is write to the home office with the reference number which should be on the letter they sent confirming they have received your application and enclose your tickets with a letter explaining that it is urgent that you get the documents as soon as possible as you will then lose your flight money. I would also send the letter and enclosed evidence visa special next day delivery so it reaches the caseworker the next day and you will have a record of it. Its always better to do this is writing then over the phone, this should expedite the matter and your documents should arrive earlier.

You may also wish to enclose with your letter a self address special delivery paid, envelope asking them to send the documents to your special and not visa then 2nd class delivery service they usually use.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, it has already alleviated some of the worry, however if it hasn't arrived near the time of my travel, is there anyway that I can go in person to collect the documents? And if so how long should I wait before I try to do this? I live in Edinburgh and am flying from London. The last day I could receive the documents would be Fri 21 March, as I due to fly out on Mon 24th. Thanks Annie

ps. I'm assuming that I write to the caseworker at the Croydon Centre, and not the Liverpool address on my receipt letter?

It's a pleasure, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately there is no system implemented by the home office which allows you to collect documents after you have withdrawn an application.

I would suggest you write it specifically in the letter in bold the date that you require the documents by, ensure that you are firm but kind in your letter. As long as you get all the information across and ask them to return the documentation in your self address pre paid envelope it should not be a problem.

You need to write to the caseworker in Liverpool if that is the address on the letter of receipt, you can then send a copy letter to Croydon too.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just one more thing. After I had sent the form and passports to the address they stated on the form - it was their Durham office - I had to send more supporting documents separately the next day to Croydon as that's where they said my application would be reviewed.


The application receipt came addressed from Liverpool. So my thinking is that I should send my letter with evidence and special delivery envelope to Croydon and copy to Liverpool? What do you think? I just want to get the address right and not cause any more delay than necessary.


Thanks Annie

Thank you for your reply.

Although the section in Croydon will review the withdrawal, the documents will be with the Liverpool office as they will be the one processing the application. But if you wish you can send the originals to Croydon so they can send the documents to you, if they have said Croydon office will review it then send them the original.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you