How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good evening My husband and I are expecting a baby. 15 years

Customer Question

Good evening
My husband and I are expecting a baby. 15 years ago before I met him, he committed a crime of indecent assault against a minor of 12. He immediately handed himself into the police and was punished accordingly. I met my husband 11 years ago and in the first year he told me about his past conviction. 7 years ago We wanted to start a family so we went to social services to ask for advice on two occasions. Because I was not pregnant they could advise me whether we would be allowed to have children or not.
I fell pregnant in august last year and informed social services after 8weeks. We have been working with social services and now I am six weeks from my due date. I come from a large family and have a 20 month old nephew and social services are saying that they have to inform my nephews parents of my husbands old conviction. Obviously, we do not want this secret to get out to my family and social services never said we would have to prove that he has had no unsupervised visits with my nephew. They dropped this on us on Monday and I am extremely upset and worried about revealing my husbands conviction. We have been nothing but honest and sincere with social services and now they are telling us that they are going to discloses my husbands past which would destroy the family. Is there any way to prevent this? Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, we will wait. thank you!

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What was the actual sentence for the offence?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my husband did not go to prison for the offence but was not allowed contact with his daughter for a while but then was allowed supervised visits. the offence was not against his daughter

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How old was he at the time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello unfortunately we needed an answer sooner than we got a response. Thank you anyway for your help. We have visited a solicitor who is an expert in these areas. Please can we get a refund for our Question? Thank you