How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Me and partner separated recently, when we were together I

This answer was rated:

Me and partner separated recently, when we were together I was being domestically and physically abused by my partner

Can I report this to the police now even though it happened 2 months ago.

Will the police investigate it and arrest my partner?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Why didn't you report this at the time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was scared of him and feared for revenge
You are free to report it now.

They will not arrest him probably but they will invite him in for voluntary interview.

He will probably argue that you are trying to gain revenge over the breakup. I'm afraid there are people who do that sometimes. Whether he will be charged or not for that reason is another matter.

Generally speaking stale acts of violence are not prosecuted. Two months ago is not that stale but its old enough for any injuries or other supporting evidence de to be lost.

You have to be realistic I'm afraid.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you