How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My key broke off in my door, which was extremely worn and rusty

Customer Question

My key broke off in my door, which was extremely worn and rusty when given to me by my landlord a year and a half ago. She claims the key was only bent but still usable so I should pay to have the door re-keyed. Is that my responsibility if she knowingly gave me a rusted and bent key?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Whats the cost involved please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The estimate cost is between 60 and 100 pounds.





Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Rusty keys usually give rise to problems opening the door.

Did you complain about that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I didn't. The door is in the back and you have to go through another locked door to get to it, so I rarely locked it unless on vacation. The pipes busted under my tub twice and each time it took her 2+ months to finish, so I didn't bother complaining about little things.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

You would have to prove that the key was already defective when you were given it, and that it broke in normal use.

The problem is that ever landlord simply will not replace the key or the lock you are faced with going to court and the cost of doing that is probably going to be more than the cost of the key.

You are not entitled to withhold rent.

What you can do is keep the money back when you come to vacate the property and then the landlord will be chasing you for the cost.

However if you paid a deposit, he can deduct it from your deposit and then you will be able to file a dispute with the tenants deposit scheme.

That will be cheaper than going to court

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.