How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

My wife wishes to apply for citizenship but the personel office

This answer was rated:

My wife wishes to apply for citizenship but the personel office people dont know how to fill in the form for people who know you, so they refuse.
She has been at the job for ten years and recently got an award for ten years service. Can we push them to do this form as we know no Doctors or solicitors or think of anybody else. Harold
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.

Did no one sign the section regarding identifying the applicant?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For UK Lawyer.

My wife has to find 2 referees, one personnel friend or someone who knows Her and a Professional Body Person [doctor, solicitor etc.]

As she has seen the doctor twice in 5 years he is no good. she knows no solicitors and so on until we read the section stating that the Manager or Personal Officer from work is suitable to fill in and sign the form AN.

However as they have Never done this before they are refusing to do this now and keep telling her to go to a solicitor.

She has worked in the factory for ten years plus and they know her as a blonde when she first started and as a redhead in the last six months as the new photos show her.

Recently she was given a Diploma for ten years service to the factory.

She has passed the Life in the UK test and her english Test.

So without a Professional Bodies Signature from the companies Management or Personal Officer she cannot apply for Citizenship of UK.

Can they Refuse?

If so what are the alternatives.

They are prepared to write a letter on company paper stating their Opinions of her will this be sufficient if given to and Verified by a Solicitor.

I spoke to Human Rights who say they maybe in breach of her rights on two accounts if they refuse to fill form AN for her application.

Any comments welcome.

Thank You Harold Rees


Thank you for your detailed reply.

It does seem unfortunate that in this day and age that no one is willing to verify her as being someone they have known personally for 3 or more years.

The fact is that there is a requirement for her to have two referees to confirm her identity and if not at least reasons should be given as to why she is unable to provide two referees.

What I suggest you do is obtain a letter from the manager of the company confirming her employment history and stating that they have known her personally for more than three years, the letter should be on the company's headed paper. In addition you should write a covering letter explaining why only on referee had signed the from and the confusion with regards XXXXX XXXXX can sign section five.

If you have been given a right to appeal then you should exercise this right immediately. The judge would make a more sensible decision on whether she should be naturalised or not.

If no right of appeal is given then you should write the letter stated above enclosing the letter from the manager. The fact is that the home office like to stick to the ticking box exercise if a section is not filled in or missing then they just refuse the application without investigating the reasons, therefore it may be sensible to write a letter to the home office explaining everything in detail.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you