How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

My partner walked out of our house a month ago. Whilst I was

Customer Question

My partner walked out of our house a month ago. Whilst I was working one evening, she came back to the property and removed items from the house which belonged to me. She has now requested to come back to take 'her' belongings. What steps can I take to ensure that she is not able to gain access without me being present.
Secondly, she had demanded that I have the house sold so she can have 'her half' of the profits. Am I legally allowed to remain in the property for as long as I wish, or will I be forced to sell. I am able to pay the mortgage without her contribution. We are not married, but have lived together for almost 20 years.

Many Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Alex J. :

Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is AJ and I will assist you. Legally she cannot take property that does not belong to her but if she is joint owner of the property she is entitled to enter it.

Alex J. :

In theory if you do not agree to buy her out the property or pay her rent for her share of the property, she could go to court and get a court order forcing you to sell the home. What you need to do is gather as much evidence as you can to show your contributions and what share of the property you own.

Alex J. :

I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regard AJ