How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am a dentist that has given notice to the practice where

This answer was rated:

I am a dentist that has given notice to the practice where I have been working the last 2 years
Normal in many contracts is for the owner of the goodwill to keep a retention for failed work so also on my contract 10% of the last 3 months working.
However the books with patients has been very thin with the obvious result very little to retain for the goodwill owner

The goodwill owner did as I can only see it for own financial benefit transfer customers that I could have finished during my notice period and deducted from my last wages moneys I would have earned during my notice period.

Since acting is nowhere mentioned in the contract I concluded that he purposefully terminated the contract

I felt he did wrong and tried to talk to him he simply did not have time
I written him a couple of e mails asking him to explain his actions with no reply
I written him a recorded letter with no reply

He does not want to comunicate
I stated in my letter in the absence of a reply I interpreted this as a termination of the contract with immediate effect and have not been back since
he transferred the patients to finish them with out consulting me first for his own financial gains

I am concerned not about the money's which is to little to involve solicitors for however he has a bad history of slander.
Previous associates working for him been subjected to this
Where he slander previous dentist work in order to lead patients to take legal action against his previous associates.
Patients are vulnerable and will of course listen to any advice they get from someone in his position being the principal

How do I act on this and stop this In it's bud? How would do I legally take action when patients are involved as 3 person?
At present this is hypothetical but it has happened before and I like to be prepared.

I also left some equipment that is mine that he holding ransom lacking his retention.
what right actions should I take except for bringing out a iron bar ?


Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Could you provide me with the exact dates of your employment please?

Customer: Since August 2011 end of jan 2014
Ben Jones :
OK, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this with me - I will look into this for you, get my response ready and get back to you on here. No need to wait around and you will get an email when I have responded, thank you
Many thanks for your patience. The problem you face is that unless a defamatory statement has been made, trying to enforce it is very difficult, often impossible. The law does not really protect you for what ‘could’ happen, it is there to bring restitution if you have been wronged, so for example once you have been defamed by someone. You may get an injunction preventing someone from making defamatory statement, but that does not guarantee they do not break this and make the statements anyway, which would then again only leave you with the option of seeking compensation for damages incurred from their actions. So to ‘nip this in the bud’ would really involve telling the employer what you expect of them in the circumstances and how you would deal with any potential issues that arise. But you cannot guarantee that they do not proceed with these comments anyway – that is simply not possible, it is really what you do afterwards that really matters and where your right really come into play.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:
Ben Jones and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello Per, please let me know if I have answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thank you