How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

my son is about to turn eighteen he was born in ireland.but

This answer was rated:

my son is about to turn eighteen he was born in ireland.but has lived here since the age of three.he is at college at the moment and is going to university in and his mum have been together for 26 years but are not married.she is irish and I am english by birth. how do we gdt him a british passport.

When will he turn 18?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

11 of this month.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he will turn eighteen next week on the 11

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Thank you.

I will prepare my answer shortly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you.

As you are not married to your son's mother, you will need to apply for your son's registration as a British citizen first before he can apply for a British passport.

You have to do this before he turns 18, otherwise your son will have to apply for naturalisation as an adult,once he turns 18 and the process will be more complex.

The form to use is MN1

You should fill the form today if possible and send it off by special delivery next day to the Home Office as the application must reach them before your son's 18th birthday. If you send it today or tomorrow, it will reach on Monday and be in time.

Hop this helps

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you