How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

we had builder that done work 4 us he said it would take 3

This answer was rated:

we had builder that done work 4 us he said it would take 3 weeks it took 7 weeks was really bad he wanted cash up front the work was very shabby .The phone line was down so was internet for the seven weeks it got so bad that in the end i asked them 2 leave the work was not finished . now they are saying that if we do not pay they will take legal action how do we stand
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

How much did you pay? How much is outstanding?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

good morning Alex we paid 14 k and more &we paid all but 180 pound 2 the builder plus the archetec which was 1,600 we owe him 1,000 it is him that sent us the e/mail .the work has not been finished we will have 2 get some one in 2 finish it and that is going 2 cost 500 if not more .

Thanks for your patience.

You can make a claim against the builder (or if the builder sues you - a counterclaim) on the grounds of breach of contract.

By law the builder has to exercise reasonable care and skill in carrying out his work - section 13 Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Failure to exercise reasonable care and skill amounts, e.g. shabby work, means you can ask builder for a repair or refund or withhold payment in order to get the work done by another builder.

On the basis of the information you have provided, you appear to be acting well within your rights. But you ought to tell the builder in writing about your legal position and that if he does make a claim, you will defend it and make a counterclaim against him for your losses and to put the work right.

Alice H and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your answer will write 2 both and see what happen mr alex hughes.