How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I need some preliminary advice about harassment

This answer was rated:

I need some preliminary advice about harassment
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am receiving letters from a solicitor which I consider to be harassment . The letters are sent on behalf of his client and they contain incorrect allegations..My general question is how difficult is it to pursue a civil case against a solicitor..? Would he be protected under some kind of prejudice law.?

Thanks for the additional information.

The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 is the leading legislation on harassment. There is no specific definition of harassment but it is generally understood to be a course of conduct which causes harassment, alarm or distress. It is for a court to decide whether the act complained of amounts to harassment.

There are defences to harassment which include prevention or detection of crime;that it was pursued under any enactment or rule of law or to comply with any condition or requirement imposed by any person under any enactment, or that in the particular circumstances the pursuit of the course of conduct was reasonable.

A solicitor acting in accordance with his client's instructions could rely on the last two defences namely the actions were in accordance with a rule of law and/or the actions were reasonable in the circumstances.

However, if you believe the solicitor is behaving in a manner that is illegal or unreasonable - you could complain to the Solicitors Regulation Authority or the Legal Ombudsman.

Hope this assists.


Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Roger

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know.