How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi Im getting married in 2weeks and will be moving to my

Customer Question

I'm getting married in 2weeks and will be moving to my future husbands army base with my son. My son's father is not happy as he will not be able to see his son regular like he does now. I am worried, can he do anything to stop us moving.I do not talk to him direct as when we were together he was violent his parents pick up and drop off our son twice a week and any correspondence is done through the but they are very intimidating. I feel scared that he might be able to stop us moving. Can you help.
Conor Green
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is your son and what contact does he actually have?
How far away are you moving and what will you do to ensure ongoing contact can continue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he is 3 - he has contact with grandparents two teatimes per week - i dont even know if he sees his father those times - he father also has depression issues, rarely leaves the house and hasnt worked in years - we're moving to catterick from sheffield and we said we'll visit often as other family are in sheffield - and weve offered to video chat 3 times a week

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Are you willing to commit to a trip at least once a fortnight?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thats hopefully the plan money pending - weve also said they can visit and take him to the seaside nearby

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Whilst your ex can apply to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order to prevent you moving until the Contact arrangements have been sorted he is not likely to be able to prevent you from moving altogether
However if he does take action you will almost certainly have to commit to an actual set pattern of contact (with you doing the travelling) which will be enforceable
You should try and discuss matters with him using Family mediation (
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details