How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I inputed for a van in my first year of trading and its has

Customer Question

I inputed for a van in my first year of trading and its has now broken down to many times and would like another. Can i put this on my expenses in my 3rd year as a sole trader. The first 2 years i hve made a loss.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer : Hello, thanks for your question. My name is Tony, I should be able to assist.
tdlawyer : Generally, yes, you should be able to do this if you need to van wholly and necessarily for the business.
JACUSTOMER-7w23dh9q- : What does it come under or what if i want to expand with another van
tdlawyer : What do you mean, what does it come under? It's an expense of the business, which is wholly and necessarily incurred for the purposed of the business.
JACUSTOMER-7w23dh9q- : When i complete my tax return what do i put £7000 for the van as a cost on my self assessment form.
tdlawyer : Are you a sole trader?
JACUSTOMER-7w23dh9q- : yes
tdlawyer : Then yes, you would need to include it in your self-assessment form.
JACUSTOMER-7w23dh9q- : I know that but what under on expensesw
tdlawyer : Yes, it's an expense of your business, you see.
JACUSTOMER-7w23dh9q- : Capital Expenditure
tdlawyer : Yes.