How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

i was self employed in a hairdresser on a rent a chair basis

Customer Question

i was self employed in a hairdresser on a rent a chair basis and it states that the colours and products are included in the rent price but they are now saying that if you use over 1 tube of colour per client they will charge us the extra if it doesn't state that in the contract then can she do that?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

No, they cannot do that but they can say that they are varying the contract to incorporate the new change that only 1 tube included per client and the rest has to be paid for.

If you do not like the change, you can tell them that it is not what has been agreed and try and negotiate something which works for you.

Otherwise you may say that they are uniltareally changing the terms of the contract which you do not accept and that they should honour what is written in the contract.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they have dismissed me on the grounds that i stole the money that i have not paid for the extra colour, would that then be classed as unfair dismissal?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Unfair dismissal applies to employees, not self employed.

You may check here whether you were employed or self employed

If you were employed, then you may claim unfair dismissal if you had the qualifying length of service which is 2 years if you started work after 6 April 2012 or 1 year if you started work before.

Hope this clarifies.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so in regards to the contract and the extra charges for the colour what do i do about it as i no longer work at the premises do i write to them telling her that as it did not state in my contract that i would have to pay for extra colour over 1 tube i will not pay it,

also as i was self employed was i in my own right able to charge customers my own price's or did i have to use her prices again it does not state any of this in the contract


Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
I yes, you may write to her and dispute the charge for the colour as you had not agreed to pay it.

Yes, in the absence of any agreement, you could charge what you want.

Hope this answers all your questions. Please take a second to rate my answer.