How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I sold my car to a friend cash in hand 3 monthly payment he

This answer was rated:

I sold my car to a friend cash in hand 3 monthly payment he pulled out on the last payment but I still have the log book how can I get my car back or the rest of payment has he refused to pay
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

How much does he owe you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He his owing £1200

Thanks for your patience.

Your best option is to start a claim using the small claims procedure in the County Court.

You can start the claim online using the Ministry of Justice portal:

There is a Court fee of £70 to pay.

Assuming your friend does not dispute the claim you will get judgment and then be able to enforce that by, for example, using bailiffs to recover the car or some other property from your friend to the value of the judgment.

Before issuing the court proceedings you should send a letter to your friend explaining the step you intend to take and give him say 14 days to pay the outstanding balance.

Hope this helps.

Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you