How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

After my death, my estate will pass to my three sons equally

This answer was rated:

After my death, my estate will pass to my three sons equally (about £60,000 each) One of my sons is in receipt of ESA, council tax rebate and housing benefit. He is unable to work due to lifelong Epilepsy and other mental health problems. I do all his negotiations with IR and our local Council, as he doesn't understand any of this. How can he benefit from my will without losing all his benefits? He would not understand his changed financial situation, or be able to cope with the changes involved.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

The simple answer is that you should go and see a local Wills Solicitor who can incorporate a specialised trust in your Will n respect of your Son who is in receipt of ESA. such a Trust will allow the Trustees (possibly your other 2 children) to decide how much money and what amounts, should be passed to your Son over time.

There is no point in you just preparing a Will leaving everything equally between your 3 children, as your one Son would lose all his means tested benefits, and the way to go, therefore, is via this Will Trust.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you