How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Registering child as british citizen (EU treaty rights)

This answer was rated:

Sir/Ma'am I am an EU national, exercising EC Treaty rights in accordance with Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 for more than 5 years. I have been in continuous employment as a plastic surgeon and academic since and have no problem providing evidence of this. I have not left the UK for any period longer than 21 days at a stretch, and have been out of the uk only for leisure, short trips of 7 days max My Son will be born in Wales, UK on the 9 April of my wife, who is also in the UK exercising the same rights. Will my son automatically be a british citizen? If not what do i need to do to register him as a british citizen How do I apply for his passport


Yes, your son will be automatically British at birth as you are already a permanent resident in the UK and any child of yours born in the UK is automatically a British citizen.

You simply apply for his UK passport after he is born, they will require evidence that you have been exercising treaty rights for at least 5 years.

See here for information on applying for his passport:

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you