How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I allow a local farmer use a small piece of my land to graze

Customer Question

I allow a local farmer use a small piece of my land to graze some of his sheep. Can he claim title to the land if he has his livestock on there for a continued spell?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

No, he cannot claim title to the land after grazing the sheep on it with your consent. The whole concept of adverse possession, which is where title is claimed, is that it requires the land to be used without the owner's concent. Hence, if you consent, then he can never use the period of possession/grazing as a means to claim adverse possession.

tdlawyer :

You should always try and get the person to sign something to confirm that he has your consent to graze his animals there too though. This should assist should he seek to claim your land later - it will demonstrate your consent, which means that his adverse possession claim must fail.