How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am writing in relation to obtaining some legal advice. I

Customer Question

I am writing in relation to obtaining some legal advice. I am a British Citizen currently residing in the UK and I plan to get married to my long term partner who is Jamaican. We both lived in the US together ( for 5 years) until I returned back to the UK. My partner was then deported from the US. Prior to being deported he served a three year custodial sentence (drug offence) in the US and was then deported back to Jamaica is July 2012. My partner has not committed any other offence. He is a good man but did a stupid thing out of desperation that was out of character. We have a 7 year old daughter together and my concern is the amount of time she is missing with her father. I wanted to enquire as to whether my partner could visit / reside in the UK (my partner has never been to the UK before) and if it is a possibility the best way to go about this.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to be the one that tells you this but with his criminal record there is no chance that he will be allowed into the UK under any circumstances.

Happy to discuss further but a there year custodial sentence and for drug offences will preclude him from any sort of visa on grounds of prior serious offence and character.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
See paragraph 2(c) on page 2 of the following: