How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I travelled to Jamaica without my old passport with indefinite

This answer was rated:

I travelled to Jamaica without my old passport with indefinite leave stamped. Now I am going round in circles as it is impossible to speak directly with anyone about this problem. I need to get back home to UK as my family and business are all there. Please help. Thankyou.

You should get someone in the UK to send you your passport by secure means e.g. Courier or hand delivery.

Once you have your old passport in your hands, you will have no problem returning back to the UK assuming you have not been away for 2 years or longer.

Hope this helps. Can I help further?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The problem is that I do not know where my old passport is. By an oversight, I did not realise that the new passport would not be stamped but now everyone is telling me how stupid I am. I came for 6 weeks to visit my family and should have returned on 28th February but have spent 10 days trying to find out how to solve the situation.

Do you have a photocopy of your ILR stamp or visa or a letter from the Home Office confirming your ILR?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My son has sent me the Home Office reference number as his mum still had that. So far, we have not tracked down the paperwork. I have had the indefinite leave for maybe 20 years so stupidly it has got lost along the way. People are searching everywhere back home.

You may make a subject access request to the Home Office in the UK to see if they have any information about your ILR in their systems, see here how to do so:

If successful, the British High Commission will be able to issue you with a replacement ILR. Otherwise I am afraid you will have to reapply for Indefinite leave to enter the UK from the beginning which will be a long and complex process.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. It gives me something to work with.





Welcome. I am sure it will work out in the end.If you are unable to locate your old passport, you will need to,apply for a returning resident visa so that you may enter the UK to resume your indefinite leave status.This is the form the best
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you