How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, im contacting you on behalf of a friend who was in

Customer Question

Hello, i'm contacting you on behalf of a friend who was in an abusive relationship. Her ex has told her that if she decides to start her life over and start seeing other people he will force her to sell her family home and demand a split of 50/50. There are 5 children involved who she looks after full time and she works part time. Now if my memory serves one of my ex's went through something simalar and i think?????? that she doesn't have to sell the house until the youngest reaches 18 is this correct and / or can you offer any advise on this or direct me to the correct web site so i can try and set her mind at ease.

Many thanks Neil
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are they married?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes married, children are 13 11 10 9 and 7 house is worth about 270000 mortgage is about 45000

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How much would a cheaper four bedroomed house in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Roughly the same price if not more

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What other assets are there and what income do they each have?