How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10952
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I filed a money claim against a company owning me money, however

This answer was rated:

I filed a money claim against a company owning me money, however i was unable to attend the proceeding as i needed to be out of the country, I filed an application for adjornments explaining that i will be out of the country on the appointed date. However Upon my return, i found out that the judge had struck out the case.
Its now been 2months since my return, what can I do to claim my money from the company. do i file another case or seek to reverse the decision - as its been 2months since i came back, what can i do?
1. If you are within the statutory time limit for taking the money claim, then I suggest you simply file a fresh claim. However, if you are no longer within time for taking the proceedings, it will be necessary to go back and get the original proceedings reinstated. Here, it is complicated by the fact that the 21 day appeal period has now expired. So you would need to seek leave to appeal out of time. In those circumstances, you are best off starting a fresh claim and this time ensuring that if the matter comes to hearing, be sure you are able to attend or get someone else to attend on your behalf. Don't rely upon filing an application for an adjournment.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you