How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have recently had slimming pills on line that was advertised

This answer was rated:

I have recently had slimming pills on line that was advertised as 14 day free trial, I had to pay p+p so gave credit card details, I didn't spot the terms and condition box at the bottom that the company had already ticked. the t+c stated that if I didn't cancel before the 14 days I was entering a monthly contract for £95 including the pills already sent. is this legal as I didn't put the tick in the box

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

When you got the pills did they give you a cancellation notice or anything there please?


no I have had no corrispondance since ordering them

Alex Watts :

Ok - cancel your bank card, say you have lost it

Alex Watts :

It is a requirement of the Distance Selling Regulations to give you 7 days to cancel in writing

Alex Watts :

You should to write and set out your losses and ask for a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings which can be done online at: or by competing form N1 at:

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the seller and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you