How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have just found out that my mother died on 28th Jan 2014

This answer was rated:

I have just found out that my mother died on 28th Jan 2014 - I was not informed.

I have just found out that she changed her Will that named me as the main beneficiary, 5 years ago - I have no idea why!

I have just found out that I have been totally excluded from the will and that my Mother wanted no contact with me, nor did she want me to be informed of her death.

The beneficiaries of her estate who are not family and are of dubious character!!!

I cannot believe this - what do I do and have the right to request a copy of her Will and any accompanying letter giving reason for my disinheritance - she promised me her estate!

Please help

Best wishes


Yes, you may request for a copy of the Will but your late mother's solicitor may or may not give you a copy.

It only becomes a public document when probate is granted by the courts and there are many online will finding services or you may place a standing search with the probate registry.

You may challenge the Will under the Inheritance Provision for Family and Dependants Act on the grounds that your mother did not have the mental capacity to make the new Will but you will have to prove this.

Unfortunately, there is no legal obligation to leave anything in a Will to adult children I am afraid and if you were not financially dependent on your late mother, you will have a hard time contesting her new Will if she validly made it.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you